Carlos Oliveira, MD, PhD
Carlos R. Oliveira, M.D., PhD. is a Pediatric Infectious Diseases physician-scientist at Yale University and Director of Congenital Infectious Diseases at Yale-New Haven Children’s Hospital. He holds appointments as Assistant Professor of Pediatrics (Infectious Diseases & Global Health) at Yale School of Medicine and of Biostatistics (Health Informatics) at Yale School of Public Health.
Dr. Carlos Oliveira was born in Lima, Peru, and spent much of his childhood in Central and South American while his parents served as commissioned medical missionaries. He moved to the US with his family at 16 years of age and graduated Magna Cum Laude from Dallas Baptist University with a Bachelor of Science in Biology. He then obtained his Doctorate in Medicine at the University of Texas Southwestern School of Medicine and completed a residency in general pediatrics at the Children’s Medical Center in Dallas. After residency, Dr. Oliveira completed his fellowship in Pediatric Infectious Diseases at Yale and then earned his Ph.D. in Investigative Medicine from the Yale Graduate School of Arts and Sciences.
As an infectious disease clinician, Dr. Oliveira provides clinical consultation at the Yale New Haven Children's Hospital and oversees the training of students, residents, and fellows while attending on the wards and in outpatient clinics. In addition to serving as the Director of Congenital Infectious Diseases, Dr. Oliveira is part of the leadership of Yale's pediatric HIV/AIDS program, and he chairs the multidisciplinary pediatric COVID-19 and MIS-C treatment team. His research centers around the clinical epidemiology of pediatric infectious diseases, medical informatics, and vaccinology. He also co-leads the Yale Network for Vaccine Initiatives (YNVI) and coordinates interdisciplinary research and training in vaccinology.
- Assistant Professor of Pediatrics (Infectious Disease)
- Director, Congenital Infectious Diseases
- Co-Director of Yale Network of Vaccine Initiatives, Yale Institute for Global Health
- Clinical Scholar, Yale Center for Clinical Investigation (YCCI)
Education & Training
- Infectious Diseases FellowshipYale School of Medicine (2016)
- Health Services ResearchYale University (2015)
- Pediatrics ResidencyChildren’s Medical Center, University Of Texas Southwestern, Department of Pediatrics (2013)
- PhDYale Graduate School of Arts and Sciences, Investigative Medicine
- MDUniversity of Texas Southwestern Medical School
- Português (Portuguese)
- Español (Spanish)